Enter the Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge! @DE3MYSC #STEM
Disclosure: This is a sponsored campaign written by me in collaboration with 3M and Discovery Education. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”.
As STEM Latina I am a big advocate for Science competitions, especially the 3M Young Scientist Challenge! Science education at a young age is critical to every child’s advancement in not just academics, but also daily life. Science allows for the advancement of skills such as critical thinking. Engaging students early on in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) will allow for our society as a whole to advance both technologically and educationally. As a student myself pursuing a career in STEM and an avid advocate, I get to see first hand what science can do for a community as a whole and how it impacts every aspect of a well-rounded education.
From creating models of jellyfishes for local science fairs as a middle schooler to creating Java programmed apps at hackathons, all of these STEM competitions, I feel, have prepared me for the world of technology and beyond. My experiences through STEM have allowed me to expand my knowledge on various subjects past science and into various fields. Science competitions are a great way for all students to explore new interests, and find a passion for a field they never even dreamt about.
3M is a science-based company whose passion is to creative a collaborative experience for students through technology in hopes of growing better communities. Both 3M, and Discovery Education sponsor the 3M Young Scientist Challenge! A perfect opportunity for middle school students to explore scientific fields through creative research and articulation of findings.
3M and Discovery Education are dedicated to fostering the next generation of scientists creating strides in STEM towards a better and brighter future. The Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge is different from all other competitions because the top 10 finalists are paired with top 3M scientific mentors! This means one-on-one with someone excelling in their field willing to help you on your scientific journey. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for young students to be mentored by someone with years of experience, one who can guide them on all things science. Final projects are then presented to a panel of judges in October at the 3M Innovation Center.
Apply to earn the title of “America’s Top Young Scientist.” Past winners have gone on to work with top scientists, participated in the White House Science Fair, and even meet the President of the USA!
- Have parent/legal guardian submit the consent and registration forms.
- Open to students in grade 5-8 (during time of application) at a public, private, parochial, or home school in the US.
- Must be a legal U.S. resident.
- Cannot be a former Young Scientist Challenge finalist.
- Cannot be related or affiliated closely with an employee of 3M or its sponsors.
- April 21st 8 PM EST– Video Entry Deadline (LAST DAY TO SUBMIT) – Middle school students must create a 1-2 minute video describing a possible solution for an everyday problem society faces.
- June-July – 10 finalists will be announced and will be able to work directly with a 3M scientist during a summer mentorship program, where they will solve a problem in society. State Merit Winners also announced.
- October: Finalists will compete in a series of challenges at the 3M Innovation Center in St. Paul, MN.
- GRAND PRIZE WINNER: $25,000, Trip to destination such as Costa Rica , Title of “America’s Top Young Scientist”
- THREE RUNNER-UP PRIZES: Trip to destination such as Costa Rica
- HONORABLE MENTION: (6 AWARDs) “Excitations” for a $500 excursion
- TOP 10 FINALISTS: $1,000, Participation in a unique summer mentorship with a 3M scientist, A trip to the 3M Innovation Center in St. Paul, MN to compete in the Final Event, a chance to win amazing prize trips
- STATE MERIT WINNERS: (51 Awards) 3M Innovation Prize Packs
Don’t wait to apply! If you know a middle school student who wants to be a Young Scientist, click HERE enter them in The Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge! Don’t forget to connect with them on Facebook and support your Young Scientist! #
Here is a look at Jeff Gordon inviting young scientist to the 3M competition!
What parts of STEM Education do you think is most valuable for young scientists to learn early on? (Ex: Math skills, research abilities etc…)